|School Bus Safety Program||Details|
|SCSTC Virtual First Rider Program - Summer 2020||SCSTC Virtual First Rider Program - Summer 2020|
As daylight hours shorten, please be sure students walking to and from or waiting at their school vehicle stops remain visible. They should also stand a safe distance from the driven portion of the road.
The Ontario Ministry of Transportation identifies the following tips for waiting for the school vehicle 'The Safe Way':
- Wait for the bus at a safe place away from the road.
- Wait for the bus to stop before approaching to get on.
Remember, if you can touch the bus, YOU ARE TOO CLOSE!
For more information see the MTO 'School Bus Safety Smarts' at http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/school-bus-safety.shtml
In an emergency evacuation situation, remember to:
· Listen to the driver's instructions for the correct exit.
· Be calm, quiet and don't panic.
· Leave your belongings behind.
· Leave the bus quickly without pushing or shouting.
· Walk to a safe place and stay together.
School Bus Safety Week in Ontario takes place October 19 to 23, 2020.
Motorists - The SCSTC reminds all drivers to be extra cautious in the vicinity of school buses and around school bus loading and unloading zones.
Students - Review school bus safety tips at the beginning of the school year to ensure your school bus ride is safe and enjoyable. School bus safety tips and activities are available at Elmer's Safety Village: http://elmer.ca/safety-village/school-bus-safety.