To determine if school vehicles will be cancelled, early morning assessments of the road and weather conditions are reviewed during a 5:30 a.m. conference call between the SCSTC and School Vehicle Operators.
During the 5:30 am conference call, the SCSTC and School Vehicle Operators review:
- assessment of current road conditions;
- assessment of current and projected weather information;
- assessment of current visibility as it relates to the safe operation of school vehicles;
- assessment of current and forecasted precipitation in the form of snow accumulation on roads and freezing rain as it relates to the safe operation of school vehicles;
- confirmation if snow plows have been out on the roads;
- gathering additional information on road conditions from available local services and resources.
School Vehicle cancellations may be:
- specific to a single weather zone;
- include multiple weather zones; or
- a total Simcoe County wide cancellation.
Simcoe County is divided into four (4) weather zones:
- North Zone - Midland, Penetanguishine, Elmvale, Orillia and surrounding areas
- West Zone - Collingwood, Stayner, Wasaga Beach and surrounding areas
- South Zone - Bradford, Alliston, Tottenham and surrounding areas
- Central Zone - Barrie, Innisfil, Angus and surrounding areas
Please reference the School Bus Information page for school vehicle cancellations.