About the Simcoe County Student Transportation Consortium
The Simcoe County Student Transportation Consortium (SCSTC) provides student transportation services within Simcoe County for the Simcoe County District School Board (SCDSB) and the Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board (SMCDSB). The role of the SCSTC includes contracting bus and vehicle operators on behalf of the SCDSB and SMCDSB.
What does the SCSTC do?
The SCSTC is a team of 11 staff who:
- Plan and coordinate safe and efficient home-to-school transportation for all eligible students in Simcoe County, following the policies and procedures of our Member District School Boards and the SCSTC.
- Contract School Vehicle Operators, on behalf of the public and Catholic school boards;
- Review school vehicle stops and routes for student safety.
- Ensure School Vehicle Operators meet contracted and legislative requirements for safety and service.
- Provide online services, including the ability to query transportation eligibility, as well as to view school vehicle delay notifications and school vehicle cancellation notifications.
- Provide responses to transportation change requests and transportation inquiries.
- Maintain secure and accurate home-to-school transportation data.
- Offer school vehicle safety programs.
The two transportation departments of the SCDSB and the SMCDSB were combined as the SCSTC. In 2011, the SCSTC became an independent organization with its own staff and operations.
The world as we want it to be
A world where a safe, efficient and reliable student transportation system promotes the success of the education system and supports the students it serves.
Our role in that world
By building partnerships that are focused on student safety, continuous improvements and quality of service, the SCSTC manages the system that transports eligible students to and from school, safely, on time and ready to learn.
Those principles that guide our decision making
Safety: Nothing is more important to the SCSTC and our transportation partners than the safety of the students we serve. All of our investments of time, money and energy are focused on building systems that transport students to and from school safely, on time and ready to learn.
Service: We recognize the important social and economic impact our services play in the school communities we serve. The SCSTC and our transportation partners serve all those who depend on us with respect, clear and responsive communication and an openness to finding solutions.
Sustainability: The investments made in student transportation services are significant and we steward these resources efficiently so that the SCSTC and our transportation partners can serve our community today and in the future.
Collaboration: A system that moves over 36,000 students to 150 schools over 63,000 km of road – daily – is complex. It is our responsibility and privilege to simplify all of those logistics into a seamless customer service experience and we do this in collaboration with our transportation partners, school boards, schools and communities.
Adaptability: We understand that the only constant is change and we will foster a culture that looks for creative ways to improve how we deliver services, communicate with one another and find greater system efficiencies.
SCSTC by the Numbers
- The SCSTC plans and coordinates safe and efficient home-to-school transportation for more than 36,000 students.
- SCSTC-contracted school vehicles travel about 63,000 km each day – that’s equivalent to more than 1.6 times around the equator!
- The SCSTC services 150 public and catholic schools in Simcoe County.
- The SCSTC contracts more than 720 school vehicles to provide home-to-school transportation. These include full-size buses, busettes, minivans and physically disabled passenger vehicles (PDPV).
- The SCSTC transports eligible students to and from school throughout Simcoe County—that’s 4,859 square kilometres and includes the following four zones:
- North Zone – Elmvale, Midland, Penetanguishene, Orillia and surrounding areas;
- South Zone – Alliston, Beeton, Bradford, Cookstown, Tottenham and surrounding areas;
- Central Zone – Barrie, Innisfil, Angus and surrounding areas;
- West Zone – Collingwood, Stayner, Wasaga Beach and surrounding areas