SCHOOL VEHICLE CANCELLATION INFORMATION
Student safety is always the priority.
Weather related school vehicle cancellations are made by School Vehicle Operators in consultation with the Simcoe County Student Transportation Consortium (the SCSTC) - (reference SCSTC policy TG05 - Weather Related School Vehicle Cancellations).
School vehicle cancellations are confirmed between 6:00 am and 6:30 am.
Cancellation information is posted:
- on the SCTSC website www.simcoecountyschoolbus.ca.
- announced via the SCSTC twitter account @SCSTC_SchoolBus.
Additionally, local radio stations and other media outlets are notified.
When school vehicle service is cancelled in the morning, the decision remains in effect for the entire school day. Schools remain open for student learning.
HOW SCHOOL VEHICLE CANCELLATIONS ARE DETERMINED
Early morning assessments of road and weather conditions are reviewed during a 5:30 am conference call between the SCSTC and School Vehicle Operators.
Factors for cancellations includes:
- assessment of road conditions
- assessment of current and forecasted weather information
- assessment of visibility as it relates to the safe operation of school vehicles
- assessment of current and forecasted precipitation in the form of snow accumulation and freezing rain as it relates to the safe operation of school vehicles
- confirmation if snow plows have been out on the roads
- gathering additional information on road conditions from available local services and resources.
School Vehicle cancellations may be:
- specific to a single weather zone
- include multiple weather zones
- or a total Simcoe County cancellation
Simcoe County is divided into four (4) weather zones:
- North Zone - Midland, Penetanguishine, Elmvale, Orillia and surrounding areas
- West Zone - Collingwood, Stayner, Wasaga Beach and surrounding areas
- South Zone - Bradford, Alliston, Tottenham and surrounding areas
- Central Zone - Barrie, Innisfil, Angus and surrounding areas
Please reference the School Bus Information page for school vehicle cancellations.
What additional information can be found on this SCSTC website?